Oil-filled radiators are an excellent solution for quickly heating a room. There are some incredibly designed and powerful options available, and with advances in technology and manufacturing processes, oil-filled radiators haven’t been left behind.
Modern models now include advanced safety features, digital displays, and multiple heat output settings (to name but a few!).
Read on for our expert reviews of the best oil filled radiators available. Check the latest prices to ensure you get a great deal!
- 1 Our Picks of the 10 Best Oil Filled Radiators
- 2 Best Oil Filled Radiators
- 2.1 1. VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator
- 2.2 2. Warmlite Portable Electric Oil Filled Radiator
- 2.3 3. De’Longhi Dragon 4 Oil Filled Radiator
- 2.4 4. Pro Breeze® 2500W Oil Filled Radiator
- 2.5 5. Futura 2500W Oil Filled Radiator
- 2.6 6. NETTA 2500W Oil Filled Electric Heater Radiator
- 2.7 7. Dimplex OFC2000TiB Oil Filled Radiator
- 2.8 8. VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator – Black
- 2.9 9. Kingavon Slimline Oil Filled Radiator
- 2.10 10. Oypla Electrical Portable Oil Filled Radiator
- 3 Oil Filled Radiator Buying Guide
- 3.1 Key Features to Consider
- 3.2 Frequently Asked Questions
Our Picks of the 10 Best Oil Filled Radiators
VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator
Warmlite Portable Electric Oil Filled Radiator
De’Longhi Dragon 4 Oil Filled Radiator
Pro Breeze® 2500W Oil Filled Radiator
Futura 2500W Oil Filled Radiator
NETTA 2500W Oil Filled Electric Heater Radiator
Dimplex OFC2000TiB Oil Filled Radiator
VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator – Black
Kingavon Slimline Oil Filled Radiator
Oypla Electrical Portable Oil Filled Radiator
Best Oil Filled Radiators
1. VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator
Warming up a mid- to large-sized room in a cost-efficient manner calls for the use of a powerful and energy-efficient radiator. While oil-filled heaters are designed for increased efficiency, the VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator takes energy efficiency seriously. The radiator has been optimised to produce ample heat whilst being energy efficient.
The VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator is a powerful radiator designed to heat mid to large-sized rooms. With 11 oil-filled fins, the heater can produce as much as 2500W, which is ample heat to warm your living room, bedroom, office, or other large spaces such as open-floor kitchen and living rooms.
Advanced Safety Features
To keep users safe, this radiator comes with a plethora of advanced safety features. The safety feature the VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator has is a tip-over switch that switches the radiator off in the event it tips over. The other important safety feature is its inbuilt overheat protection system. It also has a thermal cut off.
An Adjustable Thermostat With A Complementary 24-Hour Timer
The radiator comes with three preinstalled power settings that you can use as-is. However, it also has an adjustable thermostat, which allows users to control heat production precisely. Finally, it has a 24-hour timer that will enable users to program for automatic switch on and off.
- The radiator produces ample heat, making it effective at warming expansive rooms
- It is easy to set up and use
- The heater runs efficiently whilst being very effective in heating
- The timer is an excellent addition to functionality as it proves the much-needed automation
- Its compact build makes the radiator space-efficient and economical
- The instruction it comes with are unnecessarily complex
- With a function over form design, the heater is not the prettiest available
2. Warmlite Portable Electric Oil Filled Radiator
Say goodbye to those chilly nights with the Warmlite Portable Electric Oil Filled Radiator. This 5-fin portable radiator is ideal for use in spaces that range from living rooms to caravans – and is ideal for keeping productivity ticking over in the office environment. Mounted on castors with a built-in handle to make it easy to relocate from room to room it is the ideal heating solution. The highly effective thermostat makes setting the correct temperature a breeze and the built-in safety features provide that all-important peace of mind that comes from the operation of this portable oil heater.
The powerful 650-watt operation and the built-in thermostat makes this 5 fin oil heater that perfect heating solution for a variety of environments. The gentle warming action provides a steady heat level that makes it easy to maintain the perfect environment for any space.
This portable oil heater has been thoroughly pressure tested to ensure that it is safe to operate. The design of the overheat protection mechanism means that accidents are a thing of the past.
The advantage of the rapidly circulating oil differentiates this portable heater from traditional ‘coil type’ or fan heaters. It uses less energy than older types of heaters and the design allows it to heat a variety of spaces without excessive energy consumption – even on the lower heat settings.
This is the ideal small oil type heater for both smaller and larger spaces. It makes it easy to maintain the preferred temperature and represents excellent value for money.
- Smooth castors and lightweight design allow for the heater to be relocated with the minimum of fuss and bother
- Built-in safety features make this portable heater safe to operate at any temperature setting. Pressure tested and ‘overheat protection system’
- The thermostat makes it ideal for use in a variety of weather conditions
- Excellent value for money
- Attractive minimalist design
- One year warranty – extended warranty on registration
- Should not be left on overnight
- May be noisy when heating up
3. De’Longhi Dragon 4 Oil Filled Radiator
Individuals looking to invest in an oil-radiator are attracted to the energy efficiency you get with an oil-filled radiator. With that in mind, you should note that the De’Longhi Dragon 4 Oil Filled Radiator is among the most energy-efficient radiators on the market. Additionally, this radiator is renowned for effective heating. It can warm your room quickly and keep it toasty as long as you need it to.
For a better understanding of what you get when you purchase this oil-filled radiator, let’s explore its features.
The De’Longhi Dragon 4 Oil Filled Radiator has a performance rating of 2000W. It produces plenty of heat to warm even typical large room in residential properties. Additionally, the radiator has the preset settings that allow users to vary the heat output to match their heating needs at different times.
Effective Heating Mechanism
While all oil-fill radiators are designed to be efficient, the De’Longhi Dragon 4 Oil Filled Radiator has a unique heating mechanism that enhances the chimney effect. Cold air is sucked into the radiator at the bottom of the chimneys. The air forced up through the hottest part of the heater and expelled out at the top in a convection process. This allows the radiator to warm your room quickly. The large radiator fins aid the chimney effect, as they provide a larger radiant surface.
An Elegant Design
This oil-filled radiator has an elegant design and stunning finish. It has a smooth profile with rounded edges that improve its safety.
Other features the De’Longhi Dragon 4 Oil Filled Radiator comes with include easy to assemble wheels, a carry handle, a robust build, a timer feature, an anti-frost function, and a safety cut-out feature.
- Warms up quickly
- It is capable of sustaining high heat output for extended periods
- Durable owing to its solid build
- Energy efficient
- Easy to use settings controls
- It is relatively loud when starting up and shutting down especially when new
- The radiator produces a hot-oil smell when new (clears up after a period of using the heater)
4. Pro Breeze® 2500W Oil Filled Radiator
The Pro Breeze® 2500W Oil Filled Radiator is a powerful radiator designed to warm your home with fast and sustain heat output over an extended period. Moreover, it has an aesthetically pleasing design and finish that blends into your décor for the ultimate heating experience.
The Pro Breeze® 2500W Oil Filled Radiator is powerful enough to warm up rooms in a matter of minutes. Importantly, this oil-filled radiator is capable of continuous performance, thereby mainlining a constant heat output. It will keep your room to your liking.
Three Output Settings
This oil radiator is capable of variable heat output, allowing it to match different heating requirements. For instance, if you need a little heating, you can set the heat output at 1000W. On the other hand, when you need a lot of heating fast, you can set the heat output at 2500W.
Advanced Safety Features
The Pro Breeze® 2500W Oil Filled Radiator has three advanced safety features that combine to create a safe user-experience. It has a safety tip-over switch, overheat protection, and automatic thermal cut-off.
The 24-hour timer is an automation feature that switches the heat on and off at scheduled times. Users can, therefore, set the radiator to switch on or switch off at a particular time. Aside from helping automate the operations of the heater, this feature also helps reduce energy wastage when you are typically not using it by automatically shutting it off.
Other features worth mentioning include the castor wheels and the 1.5m power cable.
- Produces ample heat that warms rooms fast
- The supplied wheels make it for users to move the radiator with ease
- It has an aesthetically pleasing design and finish that suits indoor decor
- The timer automates much of the switching on and off
- Energy efficient
- Variable heat output helps users control the heat output to their liking
- Installing the wheels is a tad daunting
- The instructions for wheel assembly are difficult to understand
5. Futura 2500W Oil Filled Radiator
The Futura 2500W Oil Filled Radiator is a radiator designed to warm your living, garage, office, or bedroom quickly. With 11 fins, the radiator has ample radiant surface to emit and sustain heat production that keeps you warm even in the coldest of nights. It is also energy efficient and will not burn a hole in your budget. In a nutshell, this oil-filled radiator is energy efficient and effective at keeping you warm.
Advanced Safety Features
It comes with a tip-over switch that will shut down the radiator when knocked-over. However, it does have a stable base that makes tipping over highly unlikely. It also has an overheat protection feature. The combination of these two features reduces the risk of accidents emanating from using the radiator. You can comfortably use the Futura 2500W Oil Filled Radiator safe to use indoors.
3 Heating Mode
Depending on your heating requirements, you can use the maximum heat output of 2500W, the medium heat output of 1500W, or the least heat output of 1000W. The variable heat performance helps users to match the radiator’s heat output with their heating needs.
A Digital 24 Hour Countdown Timer
The digital count-down timer helps to automate the switch on and shut down process. Users can program in switch-on time and switch-off times. For instance, you can program the radiator to switch on 5 to 10 minutes before arriving home or at the office and to switch off 10 minutes after leaving home or at the office.
It also comes with a 1.5-metre cable, a 2-year warranty, and wheels for rolling the heater around.
- With 11 fins and a powerful heating element, it produces enough to warm big rooms/spaces quickly
- It is capable of sustained heat production
- Compact design
- Easy to assemble and use
- Affordable for its capability
- The expansion and contraction of the metals in the radiator (when new) produce a clicking noise that can be annoying when sleeping
6. NETTA 2500W Oil Filled Electric Heater Radiator
Need to take an edge off the cold? The NETTA 2500W Oil Filled Electric Heater Radiator is going to keep you warm and cosy all winter long. This powerful heater is easy to move around since it has wheels. It provides even heat and it doesn’t use a lot of electricity. This heater is efficient and is powerful enough to heat up medium to large rooms with ease.
This portable and compact heater provides 2500W of heat at the highest setting. It has 11 fins that are filled with oil. The adjustable thermostat makes it easy to control how much heat you need.
The heater has two power settings which provides you with additional control over the heat. It also has a 24-hour timer that allows you to control when you run the heater. This will save you money.
Portable And Light
The NETTA 2500W Oil Filled Electric Heater Radiator has 4 castor wheels and a built-in handle that allows you to easily move the heater around your home. The heater has a 1.5M power cable and it also has a built-in cable organiser that is going to keep the cable tidy.
Safe To Operate
This heater is safe to operate. It has an overheating protection system that ensures the heater will shut off it overheats or gets tipped over. Operate the heater with peace of mind since you don’t have to worry about the heater overheating.
- 2500W of even, powerful heat that will keep medium to large-sized rooms warm and cosy
- Overheating protection ensures that the heater is going to turn off if it gets tipped over
- Adjustable thermostat allows you to keep your room the right temperature
- No remote control means you have to operate the heater by hand
7. Dimplex OFC2000TiB Oil Filled Radiator
Oil-filled radiators have accrued a reputation for being energy efficient and effective heaters. What they are typically not known for is their quiet operations. The vast majority if oil-fill radiators make a lot of noise in the form clicks when operating. That is the case with Dimplex OFC2000TiB Oil Filled Radiator, which has been designed for quiet operations. As such, if you are a light sleeper and you are on the market for a silent oil-filled radiator, the Dimplex Oil Filled Radiator is a good choice.
The Dimplex Oil Filled Radiator has a steel frame and body. The steel structure increases its stability, sturdiness, and durability. Unlike many other oil-fill radiators that have a plastic frame, you can rest assured that this radiator will last long.
Two Heat Setting
For its variable heating capability, this radiator comes with two heat settings. While this ability to lower the heat production by one step, the two heat settings offer limited control. Many other oil-filled radiators come with at least three heat settings.
An Electro-Mechanical Timer
The Dimplex Oil Filled Radiator comes with an electro-mechanical timer that provides 24hr programming capability. Moreover, given that the timer is electro-mechanical, it is far more durable and versatile than some of the timers incorporated into oil-filled radiators.
On the safety front, the Dimplex Oil Filled Radiator comes with a safety tip-over cut out switch. The switch turns the radiator off automatically in the event it tips over.
- Exceptionally quiet operations
- Easy to set up and use
- Quick to warm up rooms
- Sturdy steel build made for durability
- The castor wheels enhance the portability of the unit
- With the radiator measuring 45.6cm by 28.3cm by 63.5cm, it has a compact design
- The LED User interface screen produces an unnecessarily bright light that is always on as long as the radiator is connected to the mains
- While being bright, the control screens have poor contrast, making viewing and using the screen difficult
8. VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator – Black
Enjoy targeted heat wherever you need it with the Black VonHaus Oil Filled Radiator. This portable radiator puts out steady heat and it keeps the utility bills down too. You can easily move it where you want it to go and it works great in every room. You will stay warm and comfortable in every room of the house with this versatile heater.
Three Heat Settings
The three heat settings allow you to get just the right temperature. The lowest setting is 800W and the medium setting gives you 1200W of heat. The highest setting puts out a respectable 2000W of heat which will keep you toasty. The heater comes with an adjustable thermostat so you can keep the temperature steady.
This radiator has 9 oil-filled fins. It is made out of stylish black steel. It has four caster wheels and it also has a carry handle that allows you to move the radiator from room to room. It also has a 1.6 metre power cable that stores away when you are not using the heater.
The last thing you want is to have to worry about the heater tipping over or getting too hot. The overheat protection feature ensures that the heater is going to shut off quickly if it overheats or gets knocked over. You have peace of mind using this heater because you know it isn’t going to start a fire.
- Stylish black steel design looks good in any setting
- Overheat protection ensures that the heater is not going to start a fire
- Three heat settings keep you comfortable in any type of cold weather
- Adjustable temperature/Thermostat keeps the room temperature just right
- Power cord could be longer
- Heater lacks a remote control and must be turned on by hand
9. Kingavon Slimline Oil Filled Radiator
The Kingavon slimline oil filled radiator is a seven fin radiator. It has an output of 1.5kW. It is small enough that it can fit in any setting. It is suitable for the home and office, and the radiator blends well with any surrounding.
It comes fitted with an adjustable thermostat to control the temperature and makes sure that it maintains the desired temperature. It is built with seven fins to increase surface area to volume ratio, making it an efficient heater. It comes fitted with simple controls that are user-friendly and easy to operate.
It also comes with a carry handle making it easily portable. You can carry the heater from room to room without any hassle at all. It has wide casters to increase its stability and also helps with ease of movement. It is also easy to clean as the paint doesn’t chip off. It comes in black colour only.
Kingavon has been a known household name. It is well known for building lighting, household security and electrical products.
It is fitted with an adjustable thermostat. The thermostat is used to regulate and maintain optimum heat. It works by monitoring surrounding temperatures and adjusting heat according to the surrounding.
Three Preset Heat Setting
The radiator is built with three preset heat settings. You can choose between the three heat settings easily. It comes with 1000W, 1500W and 2000W outputs.
The radiator is fitted with simple controls to enable easy usage. It is user friendly and anyone can easily operate the radiator. Users can operate the machine straight out of the box without even prior training.
It has an inbuilt carry handle to make it easily portable.
It is built with superior materials and paint hence it can be easily cleaned.
- Easily portable because if the carry handle
- Adjustable thermostat to control the heat and maintain temperatures at an optimum level
- It can easily be cleaned
- Available only in black colour
10. Oypla Electrical Portable Oil Filled Radiator
The Oypla electrical 2500W heater is an 11 fin radiator heater. It has a heat output of 2500W. It is especially good for providing stable amounts of heat for a sustained period of time. The heater comes with three preset heat settings. It is also coupled with an adjustable room thermostat that helps to maintain desired temperatures and prevent overheating scenarios.
It is also fitted with a overheat safety feature to increase its safety. It has a stylish design that can fit with any room. The radiator has wide span castors that increases stability and easy transportation if the heater around the house.
Three Preset Heat Settings
Three preset heat settings, the output power that can be generated by the heater is 100W, 1500W and 2500W
It is fitted with an adjustable thermostat, this ensures desired temperatures are maintained. No overheating or unnecessary cooling.
Overheat Protection System
An overheat protection system provides safety, it cuts off the power once it detects the heater is reaching high temperatures to avoid it overheating.
This radiator is light and can be carried around the house easily. With wide span casters to increase stability, this means the radiator stays upright, makes it easy to transport and cannot fall easily.
- It has a safety overheat feature for safe operation
- Adjustable thermostat to ensure that the desired temperature is maintained
- Easily portable
- Can develop an electric fault on the fuse after heavy usage.
Oil Filled Radiator Buying Guide
Oil-filled radiators are generally portable electric heaters that are usually oil-filled and are heated by a single or more electric elements. Additionally, the oil is permanently sealed and doesn’t need refilling. Oil-filled radiators offer a mixture of convection and radiant heat unlike other types of electric heating.
That implies that they not only heat the air in the room, but they also directly heat the items within it. As a result, it allows the room to have a comfortable warmth without having to dry out the air. In this guide, you’ll learn more regarding the features you should look out for when buying an oil-filled radiator, how it works, some of its benefits, and the costs involved.
In this guide, you’ll learn more regarding the features you should look out for when buying an oil-filled radiator, how it works, some of its benefits, and the costs involved.
Key Features to Consider
Before you can arrive at your decision of getting an oil-filled radiator, it’s prudent to familiarise yourself with some of the key features of one. Ensure that you have a specific budget in mind and remember that the more perks a certain radiator has, the higher the price will be. There’re a few great value options, and this guide will assist you in spotting them by outlining the key specs of a good oil-filled heater.
Well, output really matters. You don’t require a product which will not supply you with a decent amount of heat. If you already know the size of the room you want to heat, then you’ll be in a better position to decide how strong you think your radiator should be.
In general, the most powerful ones consist of a heat output ranging between 1500W and 2500W. Anything over 2000W may be slight overkill, however, since at such a level you fall into a category where value and energy efficiency aren’t so great. After all, maybe you should look out for something that will do a great job but won’t make you go bankrupt.
At a minimum, 600W is the wattage you ought to look out for. Though such a setting isn’t going to make a huge difference, it may be quite convenient when it comes to a small study.
Portability is another important characteristic that should definitely be present. A radiator without wheels will be pinned down in only a single room. In case you want to move it, then you’ll have to wait for it to cool off so that you can lift it and then carry it to wherever you want. Such an ordeal is certainly not pleasant to anyone.
What’s more, the wheels act as a buffer between the floor and the body of the heater. People keep those heaters on all kinds of wooden floors or carpets, and you want to have the right distance between the two. That also shows you that a set of wheels will play a significant role in the safety aspect.
Safety is an essential feature, and you should never ignore its presence or absence for that matter. In case an oil-filled radiator consists of a tip-over switch, then there is a high likelihood it will be safe. For those who have pets or children running around, this feature is of utmost importance to you. Apart from preventing the malfunctioning of the product, it will also prevent a complete fire hazard disaster.
Your oil-filled radiator heater’s style also plays a role, and it doesn’t come down to just the colour options. Certain people really focus on how a product actually looks and usually find themselves passing on a good deal due to the thing that doesn’t “compliment” their specific living room setting.
What’s more, the size of a heater is also very important due to the liquid which is inside. Generally, the bigger the body, then the more time it will require to heat up. Though it sounds like an inconvenience, it doesn’t have to be. Once the radiator heats up and this large body begins to emit warmth, you could plug it off.
It will, therefore, take more time for that radiator to cool off. After the fins and the oil are all hot, they’ll remain in that situation for a while. Therefore, a larger body implies slower convection but also lengthened cooling off period. Though it comes down to your specific preference, this trade-off is worth it in many cases.
Apart from oil-filled radiators being very reasonably priced, they feature among the most affordable heating devices available with prices starting from as low as £25. Since these radiators are cost-effective, you’ll have to look out for a model that has the specific characteristics to suit your requirements. Setting out your own needs will assist you in making the right choice.
Timer Control/ Crucial Heat Settings
It’s a crucial aspect of every oil-filled radiator heater since the way you operate it will help in determining the possibilities that that product has, the level of comfort, as well as the price. Certain heaters come with a digital display, and they additionally make a few friendly beeping sounds when you press their buttons.
Though it sounds like fun, is it really that essential? Regardless if you rotate dials or press buttons to operate your heaters, it shouldn’t be all that necessary. Most electric radiators also come with a timer function. In reality, however, some analogue ones also comprise that ability, and they tend to come at a relatively lower price.
What’s more, the more digitisation you include, the more things are likely to go wrong. And after your software or display goes bad, you will end up incurring a lot to fix. Generally, a heater has a single purpose, and it’s certainly not associated with being perky. The money’s value doesn’t lie in the costly flashy product rather in the one that will surely improve your room’s temperature.
Additionally, you certainly require a heater that has a thermostat and a minimum of two power output settings. Usually, the thermostat will switch off the thing once a certain temperature is achieved. The output settings will enable you to pretty much decide on the heater’s power consumption, at any given moment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does an Oil-filled Radiator Work?
- Electricity flows into the resistor of the heater, which then turns the energy into heat
- Absorption of heat through the inert diathermic oil within the heater
- Once the oil starts to heat up, it flows via the radiator fins and columns, in the same way as a stream of hot water flowing via plumbing
- Heat transfer between the heater’s metal fin and the warm oil occurs, allowing an even level of warmth
- While the metal fins start to heat up, they start to produce heat into the room. It moves throughout the space via natural air convection
What are the Advantages of an Oil-filled Radiator?
- Oil-filled radiators contain no fans; this makes them near silent
- No fan implies that the oil heater won’t need to dry the air in your room
- Electric heaters practically 100% energy efficient. Due to the absence of a fan motor in this oil-filled heater, it makes it ultra-efficient
- Oil-filled heaters have a longer-lasting warmth, even after cutting off the power
- Once space or room reaches the required temperature, the device will then cycle on and off to keep that warmth and even save as much energy as possible, instead of just running non-stop
- Since the oil is not a fuel source, it won’t be necessary to replace it
How Much Does It Cost to Run an Oil Filled Radiator?
When it’s first switched on, the device will run at full power attempting to heat the oil to operating temperature. In case the radiator can’t heat the room to the required temperature, it will continue to operate at full power. It’s the worst-case scenario for calculating running costs.
You could look at the maximum power output of the oil-filled radiator and your latest bill’s cost per unit of electricity to determine its maximum running cost. Remember, an oil-filled radiator power output is measured in Watts.